quadruplex telegraph

this blog is closed. visit me at www.theanalogkid.net

August 25, 2005


nalladhor veenai

nalladhor veenai seidhe - adhai
nalam keda puzhidhiyil erivadhundo ?
solladi sivasakthi - ennai
sudarmigum arivudan padaithuvittai

vallamai thaaraayo - intha
maanilam payanura vaazhvatharke
solladi sivasakthi - nila
chumayena vaazhnthida puriguvayo ?

visaiyaru pandhinai pol - ullam
vendiyapadi sellum udal kaetten
nasaiyuru manam ketten - nitham
navamena sudar tharum uyir kaetten

dasayinai thee chudinum
siva sakthiyai paadum nal agam kaeten
asaivaru mathi kaetten - ivai
arulvathil unakkaethum thadaiyullatho ?



The translation


nalladhor veenai seidhe - adhai
nalam keda puzhidhiyil erivadhundo ?
( Would you make a beautiful veena
and spoil it by throwing it into the dirt ?)

solladi sivasakthi - ennai
sudarmigum arivudan padaithivittai
( Tell me sivasakthi (god) - you
have created me as an intelligent person )

vallamai thaaraayo - intha
maanilam payanura vaazhvatharke
( Give skill and brilliance to make
the society lead a purposeful life )

solladi sivasakthi - nila
chumayena vaazhnthida puriguvayo ?
( Or will you make them live as a
burden to the land they stand on ?)

visaiyaru pandhinai pol - ullam
vendiyapadi sellum udal kaetten
( Like a moving ball - Give me a body
that moves in any way my soul directs )

nasaiyuru manam ketten - nitham
navamena sudar tharum uyir kaetten
( Give me a untarnished mind - and a
life that would light up lives )

dasayinai thee chudinum
siva sakthiyai paadum nal agam kaeten
( Give me the drive to sing about
sivasakthi long after this body is burnt )

asaivaru mathi kaetten - ivai
arulvathil unakkaethum thadaiyullatho ?
( And gimme an immovable confidence - Do you
have any problems in answering my prayers? )


I really cant close this post without telling more
about it.Its a Bharathiyar poem.It was set to music
by MSV in varumayin niram sivappu.
The song is soo apt in the movie for that situation.
Kamal leaves his home in chennai to move away from
his father.He goes to Delhi where he becomes nothing
more than a barber.He is poor,unemployed for a long
time,very intelligent and too much bothered about the
society and its lack of direction.Throughout the movie
Kamal always has a Bharathiyar poem for each situation.
Every time he speaks (rather 'fights') with his father,he
always has a Bharathi poem.The scene where he leaves
home and his father asks him if he has a poem for that
situation too,Kamal looks him in the eye and recites,
Bharathi's 'achamillai achamillai' and walks out.His father
though angry with him,misses him later.He is in delhi
incidentally for a concert and he sings "nallathor veenai"
in fond remembrance of his son and his Bharathiyar poems.
The meaning too is very apt for the beautiful veena that was
built was kamal and he is literally thrown in the dirt.One
moving scene in the song is where kamal picks up a apple
from the sewer and starts eating it.Balachandar at his best.

2 Comments:

At Wed Sep 14, 11:00:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Prayer

Again!
Come, give, yield all your strength to me!
From far a low word breathes on the breaking brain
Its cruel calm, submission's misery,
Gentling her awe as to a soul predestined.
Cease, silent love! My doom!

Blind me with your dark nearness, O have mercy, beloved enemy of my will!
I dare not withstand the cold touch that I dread.
Draw from me still
My slow life! Bend deeper on me, threatening head,
Proud by my downfall, remembering, pitying
Him who is, him who was!

Again!
Together, folded by the night, they lay on earth. I hear
From far her low word breathe on my breaking brain.
Come! I yield. Bend deeper upon me! I am here.
Subduer, do not leave me! Only joy, only anguish,
Take me, save me, soothe me, O spare me!


---------an irish genius

 
At Tue Feb 19, 05:17:00 PM PST, Blogger shanthi said...

u know what, i really used to wonder" nallavarkalukku kidaikavendiya ella mariyaathaiyum ketaavarkaluku kidaikirathe adu en? en?

n this barathiyar song lifts me up when i feel very low....

 

Post a Comment

<< home